Immigration Newswire

How to File Electronically with USCIS

Posted by Emilie (Ronald) Gough | Mar 14, 2023 | 0 Comments

USCIS has been expanding its online filing for certain forms. There are many benefits to filing online, such as immediately receiving copies of notices and confirmed delivery to USCIS upon payment of fees. A step-by-step guide on how to use the USCIS Online Account system is below. 

Forms can be filed online on your own or with the help of an attorney. We recommend consulting with an immigration attorney if there are any factors that may complicate your case, including but not limited to: criminal history, prior deportation or removal from the United States, or previous overstays of visas.  

The Law Offices of James D. Eiss offers application review consultations for those who want to prepare and submit their own forms, but who also want the piece of mind that the form is correctly filled out. Contact our office today to learn more. 


1) Create a USCIS Online Account 

If you don't have an existing online account with USCIS, you should first create an account. For more information, you can visit USCIS' step-by-step guide on creating an account here

2)  Select “File a Form Online”

Once you are logged into your USCIS Online Account, select the “File a Form Online” to select the type of form you want to file.
The below forms can be filed online: 

• AR-11 – Alien's Change of Address Card 
• G-639 – Freedom of Information/Privacy and Online FOIA Request 
• I-90 – Application to Replace Permanent Resident Card 
• I-130 – Petition for Alien Relative 
• I-534A – Online Request to be  Supporter and Declaration of Financial Support
• I-539 – Application to Extend/Change Nonimmigrant Status 
• I-589 – Application for Asylum and Withholding of Removal
• I-765 – Application for Employment Authorization
• I-821 – Application for Temporary Protected Status
• I-821D – Consideration of Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals
• I-907 – Request for Premium Processing Service

o Beginning March 6, 2023, USCIS will accept Form I-907 requests, filed either via paper form or online, for certain F-1 students who already have a pending Form I-765, Application for Employment Authorization, if they are filing under one of the following categories: (c)(3)(A) – Pre-Completion OPT; (c)(3)(B) – Post-Completion OPT, and; (c)(3)(C) – 24-month Extension of OPT for STEM students.
o Beginning April 3, 2023, USCIS will accept Form I-907 requests, filed either via paper form or online, for F-1 students in the above categories when filed together with Form I-765.

• N-336 – Request for a Hearing on a Decision in Naturalization Proceedings (Under Section 336 of the INA)
• N-400 – Application for Naturalization
• N-565 – Application for Replacement Naturalization/Citizenship Document
• N-600 Application for Certificate of Citizenship
• N-600K – Application for Citizenship and Issuance of Certificate Under 322

3) Complete your selected form

Carefully read all questions and fill in the information. Forms may be rejected if any required areas are left blank. 

4)  Upload your supporting evidence

Evidence can be uploaded in PDF, JPG, or JPEG format. TIF or TIFF format may also be accepted for some forms. Clearly label each document so that it is easily identifiable. Ensure that files are no more than 12 MB in size and that the document is legible. You should upload translations of any non-English documents.  

5) Review and digitally sign your form

Review all information entered onto the form for accuracy. You can go back to edit the form as necessary. If everything is correct, digitally sign the form by typing your name. You should download a PDF of the form for your own records. 

6) Pay the filing fee

Filing fees can be paid by using a credit/debit card or by providing your bank routing and checking account numbers to have money taken directly from a U.S. bank account.


I filed my form online, what happens next?

You can now use your USCIS Online Account to download your receipt notice, appointment notices for biometrics and interviews, receive Requests for Evidence, and check your case's status. You will be able to upload documentation in response to your Request for Evidence right in your online account.

Can I use an attorney to file forms online?

Yes, an attorney can file select forms online. You should check with the attorney to ensure the form you want to file can be completed electronically. If you choose to use an immigration attorney, the attorney will draft the form from their own account and upload the supporting evidence.  The online system will provide a one-time passcode for you to enter into your own online account. After you enter the one-time passcode you will be able to review and digitally sign the application and a Form G-28, Notice of Entry of Appearance as Attorney or Representative. The Form G-28 allows the attorney to receive copies of notices related to your case and communicate with USCIS on your behalf if needed. 

About the Author

Emilie (Ronald) Gough

Emilie E. Ronald is an Associate Attorney. She first joined the Law Offices of James D. Eiss in 2018 as a Law Clerk during her second year of law school. She was admitted as an attorney in the state of New York in January 2020. Emilie primarily focuses on TNs, L-1s, E-1s, E-2s, O-1s, and R-1s. Sh...


There are no comments for this post. Be the first and Add your Comment below.

Leave a Comment

The Law Offices of James D. Eiss Is Here for You

At The Law Offices of James D. Eiss, we focus our practice on employment-based immigration law and we are here to listen to you and help you navigate the legal system.

Contact Us Today

The Law Offices of James D. Eiss is committed to answering your questions.

We'll gladly discuss your case with you at your convenience. Contact us today to schedule an appointment.