On October 18, 2023 Department of State sent a Federal Register notice titled “Pilot Program to Resume Renewal of H-1B Nonimmigrant Visas in the United States for Certain Qualified Noncitizens” for an initial regulatory review. More details will be released once the final version of the notice is published in the Federal Register.
Until then, the American Immigration Lawyers Association (AILA) anticipates that the program will be as follows:
- Begin in early 2024;
- Be limited to H-1B principals only;
- Be limited to nationals of countries that are not subject to reciprocity fees, including India;
- Have eligibility requirements like those for participation in the interview waiver program;
- Be available for 20,000 applicants; and
- Be voluntary participation.
It is expected this Pilot Program will be expanded following the initial launch and operational issues discovered during the pilot have been addressed.
Additional information will be posted on our Immigration Newswire page as it becomes available.